Monday, October 5, 2009

Why? Why Oregon? Why?

I’m totally thinking of John Mayer’s Why Georgia song with this title. If you haven’t heard it, you should check it out. I’m all about tunes. Some of Neitzsche’s writing are whack, but I definitely believe what he writes about music – “Without music, life would be a mistake.”

I’ve been thinking about my Escape From Stockton (like Escape From New York – I’m also about movies) for so some time now. Ever since I got back on track with school last year I’ve been thinking about where I would head to for my last year of pharmacy school. The options were not endless, but there was all over California as well as Portland and Oahu. It would be an important decision. I don’t think some of my classmates thought of it this way. They just picked spots close to home or friends. For me, I thought about where I would possibly want to spend the next 5-10 years of my life and where the best job or learning opportunities were for me.

In January, I chose Portland. I must say the reactions were all along the same lines – O.M.G., WTF, Really, Oh..., Where?, Why?! I must say I was a bit surprised. I thought long and hard about my choice and it’s was by no means an easy choice. Alternatives were San Diego and Santa Barbara, but it just seemed like Portland was meant to be. I had a good lottery number (that’s how my class of 250 students gets to pick where they are going to be), but Portland only had 3 spots. I remember how fast and hard my heart was beating as that second spot was fulfilled. I thought I was completely out of luck. I was wrong. I got the spot and couldn’t have been more relieved that it was finalized. I was also elated that I didn’t have to worry about a decision anymore.


I didn’t jump into rotations with my eyes closed. I had visited Portland previously and really enjoyed it. I have barely ever traveled and so I’m sure I could use a dose of reality away from family and friends. They say you need to move at least 500 miles from home to really find yourself. This is my chance. It’s only for 9 months or so. I’m still in the same time zone. And if people really wanted to I’m less than a day’s drive away from Pacific Grove (my hometown) and Stockton. Portland is cold and foggy and rainy – all things I like. Summers in Stockton have been over 100 degrees. I believe there are only so many pieces of clothes I can take off whereas in Portland, I can always put another layer on. Cost of living is low and as I owe over a quarter million dollars in loans (I’m hoping that means I’m worth at least a quarter million) I could use to save a buck or two. I also like the outdoors and don’t mind rolling around on the ground which is one of the many reasons I loved being a goalie for soccer. Besides all those basics, there is the whole school and learning side of it. I will talk about those later when I speak about my first days of school/work.

Quote: Change. We don't like it. We fear it, but we can't stop it from coming. We either adapt to change or we get left behind. It hurts to grow, anybody who tells you it doesn't is lying, but here's the truth sometimes the more things change the more they stay the same. And sometimes, oh, sometimes change is good. Sometimes change is everything. – Grey’s Anatomy Season 4, Episode 1, “A Change Is Gonna Come”
Song: Control by MuteMath

No comments:

Post a Comment