Wednesday, December 30, 2009

School, Orientation, 1st Day

Excited for my first week:




























From August to May, I'll be spending the majority of my time at the VA hospital in Portland and a little in Vancouver, WA. I did my infectious disease (ID) rotation first and I learned so much, but I just have to share this one with you --

So I did rounds twice a day with an ID team of all women - one attending, two fellows, two residents, a med student, my pharmacist, and me. One my first day, we go into this patient's room. He has a foot ulcer because for some reason he was riding in his scooter barefoot and his foot scrapped against some gravel.

Doctor to the patient: "Did you feel it when it happened?"
Patient: "I didn't feel anything."
AWKWARD SILENCE AND PIERCING GLANCE FROM PATIENT
Patient: "I'm quadraplegic."

O.M.G.
Mental note to self: Always read patient's chart before opening mouth!
Kind of messed up, but funny too.

A view from the sky bridge connecting OHSU and the VA that I walk over every day














A closer look at the tram that takes people from OSHU to the waterfront













Not surprising that it's raining already













The views from the 9th floor of the hospital













You can see the Ross Island Bridge on the left of this one













The Willamette River, a tributary of the Columbia River













Quote: Messing up. It's what makes a person. It's how we learn, where we find joy. And the things you don't plan for are things you never see coming. - Grey’s Anatomy Season 3, Episode 19, “My Favorite Mistake”
Song: One Step at a Time by Jordin Sparks

No comments:

Post a Comment